Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Our Story: Will You Marry Me? pt. 5

During Roscoe's trip to San Diego in August of 2009 he made quite an impression. The next day after I picked him up from the airport, Roscoe met my parents and my grandmother. He met my parents first. I marveled at how easy it was for Roscoe to be himself. He did not try to impress them or me. He was relaxed. I was the one fixing his shirt before he came in the house. I was nervous. But his calm and collected attitude began to rub off on me. By the end of their first meeting, he respectfully told my parents about himself and how he feels about me. Then he did the unexpected, he asked my parents for permission to court me. After they said yes, I had the fight the tears from coming down my face. Roscoe reminded me, that I asked God for a man that would ask my parents for permission to court me when I was 15 years old. Every move he has made has been in correlation to things I had asked God concerning my future spouse earlier in my life. My grandmother took one look at him and embraced him. She looked at us sitting on her couch and told me to look at what God has done. Again, I had to fight back the tears.

Roscoe was suppose to stay in San Diego for two weeks, but was blessed to stay for another week. By the end of the third week, I did not want to see him go and we did not discuss him leaving. That last Saturday night we just kept staring at each other, nothing else seemed to matter. I noticed that he was being a little quite. Some sentences he did not finish. I asked him what was going on but he said I would find out later. That next morning, my mother came in my room and let me know that she was not ready for Roscoe to ask for my hand in marriage. I told her that I did not think that was coming anytime soon. She just looked at me and told me she was not ready. I looked at her and really began to wonder what was going on. Soon after that we went to church. He went with his family (Cousin Felicia) and then he would meet me at my church later on. When he finally arrived at my church, he sat next to me and smiled. During intermission, he called my parents, my pastor, and my pastor's wife in the back building for a meeting. I did not know what the meeting was about and everyone was looking at me and asking if he was proposing. I started pacing back and forth. Roscoe finally came out of the meeting, he was hugging my parents and pastors. He walked up to me smiling. I asked him what happened and all he told me is I will find out later. He had an event to go to so I walked him to his car and went back inside to church.

After church, I rode home with my parents and asked them what Roscoe's meeting was about. They told me that Roscoe wants to give me a promise ring. It did not make sense to me so when I met up with Roscoe late that afternoon and asked him if that is what he wanted, he looked at me and told me that he asked for my hand in marriage. Needless to say, we went to my parents house to have a talk with them shortly after that. After talking for an hour, taking a break to go back to church and hear my father preach a message about obedience and following your heart, we found ourselves parked in front of my parent's house praying. In the middle of our prayer, my mother knocked on the car window to tell us that they have given their blessing. I was so happy, I got out of the car to hug her. When I turned around, Roscoe was on the ground with the ring. I had no idea that he already had a ring. Before he could ask me, my mother stopped him and made him go inside the house and ask me in front of my sisters. The whole family got to see him get down on one knee and they got to hear me say yes. It was one of the best moments of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment