Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Our Story: When Love Arrives pt 4


Roscoe and I first met over the telephone. His cousin Felicia Davis is currently my hair dresser and has been a family friend for several years. In May of 2009, I was getting my hair done at Felicia's shop. I began to tell her about a recent date that I had and how horrible it was. We talked about how men in San Diego, that I had encountered, were not up to par. Shortly after that, Felicia began to talk to me about her cousin in New Jersey who she thought I should talk to. I automatically said no. Felicia told me that he and I have so much in common and that we would make really good friends. I still said no. Finally, she persuaded me by saying there is nothing wrong with meeting someone new. I said ok and told her it is ok to give him my number but I did not think anything would come of it. 

A few weeks later, on a Sunday in June of 2009, Felicia left me a voice message and a text message to call her as soon as I can. I thought it strange because her messages seemed urgent. When I got out of church, I called her but was unable to get through. A few minutes later, she text me to let me know her phone died and she gave me her mother's home number to call. Now, I am really concerned. The number is unfamiliar to me because it is not a San Diego area code. I still did not piece anything together. So I call the number Felicia left for me and she picks up. She tells me, he is on his way, and I have to talk to him. Before I knew it I am on the phone with Roscoe. We talk for a short while and became facebook friends. There was something about his voice that was comforting but again, I thought we would never be more than friends. Thank God I was wrong.

After texting back and forth for a week, we began to have serious conversations over the phone for hours at a time. Pretty soon, we began talking for hours everyday. A month later, we told each other we loved each other for the first time. It was July 17, 2009. We were in love with each other but never physically met. He lived in New Jersey and I lived in California. He quickly became a huge support for me mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. We discussed everything under the sun, but mostly we talked about God and how living for Him as Christians benefited our lives. We had bible study over the phone, we prayed together, and we even sang worship songs together. For both of us, it was an unexpected answer to prayer. I loved him more and more each day. He decided to come out and see me on August 10, 2009. I met him at the airport in Irvine, California. I took off work and got there three hours before his plane got in. I was so nervous. I knew that something amazing was getting ready to happen to me. The feeling was overwhelming. I waited at the mall until it came time for his plane to land. When he texted me to let me know he had arrived, I got in my car and called my oldest sister. I needed someone to talk me through the nerves, anxious feelings, and subsequent tears. I parked at the airport, prayed and went down to baggage claim to meet him.

We really did not know what each other looked like. I did not care. All I knew was that the man that I had prayed for and desired for years and years was getting off the plane to see me. He told me that he would be wearing a red shirt. So, I began looking for men wearing red shirts. I seen a few but thankfully they were not Roscoe. Then I seen a man walking toward me with his head down. He was wearing a red shirt, blue jeans, and black shoes. I called his name but he did not look up. I called his name four more times before he looked up and smiled at me. Though he was carrying two bags, I hopped in his arms. It was Roscoe, in my heart I knew I was in my future husband's arms. We stayed there a while, embracing and saying how much we love each other. Any anxious feelings I had went away. Romantic Love had finally arrived. It took us over an hour to leave the airport. It was too exciting, it was incredible. Exactly a year since we first became a couple, we became Mr. and Mrs. Roscoe S. Houston.

Copyright (c) 2013. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment