Friday, February 15, 2013

Our Story: The David's Bridal Experience pt. 3

 For we walk by faith, not by sight. - II Corinthians 5:7

It was a beautiful San Diego Saturday morning in November of 2009. I was at a really great place in my life. I just started working for a great nonprofit organization and began to form ideas for a nonprofit organization  I hoped to start sometime in the near future. Most of all, I began to spend more time with God. I was removed from the place of loneliness and desperation. I no longer scoped out at every breathing, single male to see if he was the"one." I became obsessed with God's plan for my life which put me at ease. 

I woke up and I felt God tell me to go to IKEA and look around to begin to see furniture that I would want to see in my apartment because I would be moving out soon. For some of you that may seem strange, but  I knew God was letting me know that my time of being at home with my parents was coming to an end. Though I did not have an apartment in mind, I leaned on my faith in God. In these moments I reminded myself successful living is done through faith, not skepticism or doubt. 

After spending some time in IKEA in Mission Valley, I drove around for a little bit enjoying the day. As my car approached David's Bridal, God told me to go in and try on a wedding dress. At this point I begin to doubt. "Am I nuts?," I thought to myself. This can't be right. But the unction would not go away until finally I turned my car around and parked in the lot. 

Trembling and halfway embarrassed I stumbled into the door. Looking confused, I was greeted by a bridal consultant who promptly asked me if I wanted to make an appointment to try something on. The next available appointment was in 20 minutes. Again, I felt an unction from God to try something on, but I ignored it and coyly declined. No more than 3 steps later I looked to my right and fell in love. The beautiful image was placed against the display rack. I stopped and stared at the most beautiful wedding gown I had ever seen. I knew it was for me. Desperate to find normalcy, I walked away and tried to appear calm as I walked through the other aisle. Undeniably, I found my way back to the picture of the gown. I did not know if it was in the store. 

Watching my fascination, a consultant approached me again. Before she can say anything, I asked her if the appointment she had was still available. I was promptly informed that an appointment had just opened up and I could try on the dress immediately. "I must be crazy. What am I doing?," I thought to myself. 

The consultant asked me, "When is the big day?" 
I shyly responded, "Oh, sometime soon. We have not decided yet." Dying inside, I did my best to hold my composure together. I could not help laughing at myself internally. This was truly a step of faith. 

After some help from the consultant, I was perfectly fitted in the dress and in front of several full body mirrors. A look of shock came on my face. It was breath taking. I heard God's voice sooth my nerves. He let me know that this is the next stage of my life. Sometimes you have to walk as if you have already arrived at the destination God is bring you to.  I almost bought the gown that day. I slowly walked away, got information from the consultant and hurried to my car. I put my head on the steering wheel and cried tears of joy. I do not know what came over me exactly. I was never more sure about anything in my life. Approximately seven months later, Roscoe and I met and our world changed forever. 

Copyright (c) 2013. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment